Can I control layout (arrow directions and multi columns) in activity diagram

+4 votes
asked Apr 28, 2017 in Wanted features by Bryan (410 points)
I have a long activity diagram, includes conditionals, but is basically long and thin. There are two options  I could imagine to fix it:

For some sequences of activities, I could go right then left to use more horizontal space where there is nothing interesting going on in conditional space, but there are multiple steps, something like

:A; -> :B; -> C;

:D: -< E:; -< F;

would result in  A B and C going horizontally and then D below C and going back left horizontally ... (there might be a syntax for this already, but if so I haven't found it ... the syntax I've used here is just to show the idea, I'm sure it wouldn't be the right one).

and/or

One could do

:M;

back_to_top_of_page

:N;

which would result in the arrow from M going back to the top of the page and down into a new column of N and subsequent activities (this is *not* a swimlane, just artificailly creating new "columns" to use more horizontal page).  Again, maybe there is a syntax, but I  haven't found it.
commented Apr 29, 2017 by Bryan (410 points)
Another variant on this would be to allow A -> B where A is in one swimlane and B in another to be horizontal, which would certainly yield better use of space.

Your answer

Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:
To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.