mindmap fails to render with null reference exception (Graphviz problem?)

0 votes
asked Sep 25, 2019 in Bug by Ash (120 points)

Trying to get MindMaps to render on my Archlinux box. The test diagram is:

@startmindmap
* Demo
** Hardware
** Software
@endmindmap

I get the following:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.mindmap.FingerImpl.<init>(FingerImpl.java:128)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.mindmap.FingerImpl.build(FingerImpl.java:105)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.mindmap.MindMapDiagram.computeFinger(MindMapDiagram.java:170)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.mindmap.MindMapDiagram.drawMe(MindMapDiagram.java:147)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.mindmap.MindMapDiagram.access$000(MindMapDiagram.java:68)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.mindmap.MindMapDiagram$1.drawU(MindMapDiagram.java:110)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.ugraphic.ImageBuilder.getFinalDimension(ImageBuilder.java:301)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.ugraphic.ImageBuilder.writeImageInternal(ImageBuilder.java:217)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.ugraphic.ImageBuilder.writeImageTOBEMOVED(ImageBuilder.java:180)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.mindmap.MindMapDiagram.exportDiagramInternal(MindMapDiagram.java:103)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.UmlDiagram.exportDiagramNow(UmlDiagram.java:200)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.AbstractPSystem.exportDiagram(AbstractPSystem.java:135)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.PSystemUtils.exportDiagramsDefault(PSystemUtils.java:156)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.PSystemUtils.exportDiagrams(PSystemUtils.java:99)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.SourceFileReaderAbstract.getGeneratedImages(SourceFileReaderAbstract.java:159)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.Run.manageFileInternal(Run.java:520)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.Run.processArgs(Run.java:404)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.Run.manageAllFiles(Run.java:372)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.Run.main(Run.java:188)

Version Details:

PlantUML version 1.2019.11 (Sun Sep 22 20:02:15 AEST 2019)
(GPL source distribution)
Java Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
Java Version: 12.0.2+10
Operating System: Linux
Default Encoding: UTF-8
Language: en
Machine: vaio
PLANTUML_LIMIT_SIZE: 4096
Processors: 4
Max Memory: 1,008,730,112
Total Memory: 65,011,712
Free Memory: 59,927,376
Used Memory: 5,084,336
Thread Active Count: 1

The environment variable GRAPHVIZ_DOT has not been set
Dot executable is /usr/bin/dot
Dot version: dot - graphviz version 2.42.1 (0)
Installation seems OK. File generation OK

I am able to render test sequence diagrams, which I believe also require GraphViz. 

But I also have similar problems with WBS diagrams.

Are there known issues with the 2.42.1 version of graphviz I have installed?

Thanks.
Ash.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Sep 25, 2019 by plantuml (295,000 points)
selected Sep 25, 2019 by Ash

Best answer
It seems that there is an issue with your plantuml.jar file.

I guess that the folder "/skin" is missing inside.

Can you doublecheck this ? Where did you get the plantuml.jar file ? Did you build yourself ?
commented Sep 25, 2019 by Ash (120 points)

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response!

I installed using the Archlinux AUR package (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plantuml) which downloads the plantuml source code archive from source forge and builds it (using ant dist). 

It appears that I get a broken /skin folder. I actually get /skin/skin/skin/[fileshere]. 

I am able to replace the .jar file with one directly downloaded and it works correctly. So that is definitely the issue.

If I extract the files from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/plantuml/1.2019.11/plantuml-1.2019.11.tar.gz (sha256 432c5b1f2a96a7a8195c04f99d11fe95a9d5f2b179788e34abec6b49456f2b37) I see that it has the same layers of /skin/skin/skin in the top level folder. 

So the problem seems to be coming from this source archive.

Thanks,
Ash

commented Sep 25, 2019 by plantuml (295,000 points)
Thanks for the feedback : we are going to fix that.

The issue is probably on our ant build script.

Regards,