illegalargumentexception executable name has embedded quote split the arguments

+1 vote
asked Jun 5, 2013 in Bug by Sebastiaan Aarts (120 points)
java -jar plantuml.jar -testdot

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Executable name has embedded quote, split the arguments
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.isQuoted(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.getExecutablePath(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.cucadiagram.dot.ProcessRunner.run(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.cucadiagram.dot.ProcessRunner.run(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.cucadiagram.dot.AbstractGraphviz.executeCmd(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.cucadiagram.dot.AbstractGraphviz.dotVersion(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.cucadiagram.dot.GraphvizUtils.dotVersion(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.cucadiagram.dot.GraphvizUtils.getTestDotStrings(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.OptionPrint.printTestDot(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.Option.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at net.sourceforge.plantuml.Run.main(Unknown Source)
The environment variable GRAPHVIZ_DOT has not been set
Dot executable is c:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz 2.28\bin\dot.exe
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Executable name has embedded quote, split the arguments

java -version
java version "1.6.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_45-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.45-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64-bit

2 Answers

0 votes
answered Jun 5, 2013 by plantuml (294,960 points)

Which version of PlantUML are you using ?

java -jar plantuml.jar -version

You should upgrade to the last version (7968)

0 votes
answered Jun 23, 2013 by vlad (140 points)
Just want to add some comments and share my experience with Eclipse plugin that uses older version of plantuml.jar.
As soon as Java was updated to  1.6.0_45-b06 I start seeing the same issue. Oracle release notes, see section on "Changes to Runtime.exec" = = => http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/6u45-relnotes-1932876.html

Not been experienced with Eclipse plugins authoring or not able to find actual source code for Eclipse plugin as well as time constraints from my side did not helped ether. 

Everything was continued to work on my old Linux Mint 13 installation with eclipse and plugin though not on Windows.

Finally I've decided to downgrade Java version to 6u43

Now it is working again.
My environment: Windows 7 64bit, Eclipse Juno, Java 1.6.0_43-b01, Eclipse PlantUml plugin net.sourceforge.plantuml.eclipse_1.1.8.7950, Graphviz 2.80

BTW, Graphviz 2.30 with Eclipse plugin have layout issues with Activity diagrams.

Ones Eclipse plugin will get updated with the latest PlantUml version, I'll be trying updating Java again.