Plantuml webserver lagging

0 votes
asked Apr 29, 2020 in Bug by albert (3,520 points)

It looks like the plantuml webserver http://www.plantuml.com/plantuml is lagging with the versions a little bit

it reports:

1.2020.09beta3

whilst the latest version is at the moment:

1.2020.09beta8

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Apr 29, 2020 by Serge Wenger Work (15,620 points)
I'm only a user. All beta versions are not installed on the "production" server. It is normal for me.
commented Apr 29, 2020 by albert (3,520 points)
Normally when a new beta is available this was also put on the web server (as far is I noted) and at the moment the 1.2020.09beta3 is available. According to your answer the version on the webserver should, probably, even be the last released so 1.2020.08.

Or did you mean with 'All beta versions are not installed on the "production" server.' actually : Not all beta versions are installed on the "production" server.' ?
commented Apr 29, 2020 by Serge Wenger Work (15,620 points)
Sorry about English, it's not my mother tongue.

To clarify, the beta version can sometimes be put on the production server, but not in all cases.
commented Apr 29, 2020 by albert (3,520 points)
English is not my mother tongue either, so I make mistakes as well.

Your clarification makes your point of view quite clear.
commented Apr 29, 2020 by plantuml (295,000 points)

Yes, there are two kind of beta :

• betas which are tested enough and that we are quite sure that they won't have big issues. We sometimes push those betas on the "production" server so that people can test it
  • betas which are too risky to be pushed in production (since we don't want to break all people using the server)
There are no real way for you to know which kind is a beta, it's really our decision.
For the record, we are going to push V1.2020.09(beta10) soon : it seems stable enough.
commented Apr 30, 2020 by albert (3,520 points)

That is clear and understandable. I was under the impression that all beta versions were  pushed to the web server, but it doesn't make sense to do this when the version is not stable.

Thinking aloud about this:

• a possibility might be to add an extra button on the webserver. Now there are the buttons: "Submit" and "Switch layout", maybe this could be "Submit last release", "Submit last beta" and "Switch layout". Here the beta could always be updated and the last released could in this case be 1.2020.08
  • plantuml has a number of options, currently -tpng, tsvg and -ttxt are available by means of a view link, maybe it would be possible to make other options available as well by means of a text field / check buttons / radio buttons ? (I know the webserver should be as easy as possible).
commented May 2, 2020 by albert (3,520 points)
Just a small note: at the moment it is even more confusing.

When downloading (with wget) from http://beta.plantuml.net/plantuml.jar I get version 1.2020.09beta14

and the plantuml webserver reports version 1.2020.09beta15