Please add Data Store to the Activity diagram

+1 vote
asked Nov 14, 2021 in Wanted features by ood (180 points)
Activity Diagram are more than just flow diagrams, they are a mixture of flow and data diagram put together. Please consider adding the Data Store and it would make it even more useful.
commented Nov 14, 2021 by The-Lu (63,920 points)

Hello O.,

Using SDL, a possible workaround is to use sub-diagram as:

@startuml
:Ready;
:next(o)|
:
{{
label l [
read data on:
]
database db
}}
;
:print data>
@enduml

See SDL doc. here:

If that can help,
Regards.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Nov 15, 2021 by ood (180 points)
I was not thinking of using SDL.  Data Stores are a key element of activity diagrams, without which all you have is a flow diagram, which can be useful to a point but it is incomplete.
commented Nov 15, 2021 by The-Lu (63,920 points)

Hello O.,

Not expert on UML...

• Could you explain how you consider "Data Store"?

Hints, as:

Then on PlantUML, even if the PIN is not implemented on Activity diagram, you can use SDL and:

@startuml
:Ready;
:next(o)|
:<<DataStore>>
Elements]
:print data>
@enduml

Otherwise use State diagram... see:

If that can help,
Regards,
Th.

commented Nov 15, 2021 by ood (180 points)
Activty diagrams consist of two things flow & data they are not one thing or the other.  The diagram i create would always use both elements.  Where I am getting data and storing data to do any activity.  An activity may update something that needs recording that would be placed in a store.  This is then used to create further diagrams such as comms, sequence and class where we would define how that data is stored.  SDL looks more complex syntax that I need.  A data store could be anything to store data not just state, so a state diagram would not fit the bill.
commented Nov 15, 2021 by ood (180 points)
The key thing is that accessing and getting data is not part of the activty flow, it has it's own flow to and from activities, this is where one or more data sources are involved
commented Nov 15, 2021 by The-Lu (63,920 points)

OK: Your full "wanted feature" request remains.

Looking forward to trying to meet your needs...
Regards.