Some items escape package grouping

0 votes
asked Nov 24, 2021 in Question / help by Pear

I have a big class diagram (just under 200 objects) that I tried to organize using packages. This mostly worked quite well. However, for about 5 out of 15 packages, the diagram seems to ignore the grouping completely, leaving objects in random locations not within the package box. I also noticed that in one place, the diagram has placed two objects directly on top of each other, making it impossible to see which object is being obscured.

Is there a reason for this behavior that I can tweak in some way? I assume it has something to do with the complexity of the diagram, but most of the objects are in locations where it should be possible to move them into the package. Often, they are right next to the correct package, just outside the box.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Nov 24, 2021 by plantuml (294,960 points)
Is it possible to post an example showing the issue ?

Thanks!
commented Nov 24, 2021 by Pear
Sure, I have uploaded the cyphered image here: https://i.imgur.com/HhsAn6g.png (please let me know if the resolution is bad, it looked fine on my end).

Unfortunately since I had to cypher it isn't obvious what objects belong to what packages, but for example the two leftmost objects of the three objects that are grouped outside a package in the bottom-middle (cyphered to pdhk and asowfo) should belong to the package third to the right (cyphered to dlpbbgsv), while the object right next to those two should belong to the package furthest to the right.
commented Nov 24, 2021 by plantuml (294,960 points)
The image is fine thanks.

The result is indeed very strange.

- Did you generate a PNG image? (and not a SVG one)

- Which version of PlantUML and GraphViz are you using?

You can check this with:

@startuml
version
@enduml

and

@startuml
testdot
@enduml

Thanks!
Yes, the original image was a PNG.

PlantUML version 1.2021.14

Graphviz version 2.44.1

Happy to help, let me know if you figure something out :)
Very weird.

I understand that your diagram contains some confidential data. However, it would be nice to have the diagram source of it to understand what's going on.

Fortunately, there is a way to cypher your diagram. See https://plantuml.com/en/faq#76ee48737d9f7a1a

I don't think you have used this method to cypher your diagram (since this cyphering uses random words). Could you give a try and post (or send by private message/mail) the cyphered result ?
You mean the .preproc file? Yes I can provide it, I intended to do it at first but the max character limit here wasn't high enough hence why I uploaded the image instead. What email should I send it to?
You can use plantuml@gmail.com