Modify PLANTUML_LIMIT_SIZE for public server use?

0 votes
asked May 9, 2017 in Closed question / help by anonymous
I'm using PlantUML though Python, which I believe utilizes the public PlantUML server. I have a very large class diagram which is being cutoff because of the png size limit. Is it possible to set the PLANTUML_LIMIT_SIZE when calling PlantUML through Python?

1 Answer

0 votes
answered May 10, 2017 by plantuml (294,960 points)
Generating PNG on server side is somehow CPU and memory consumming.
(Note that you can use SVG images that does not suffer the same limitation)

We try to keep the online server as open as possible, but allowing large image big would impact all users.
The best option for you would be to install a local version of the server, which does not have the same limitation.

Another option for us would be to allow some kind of login on the server.
In that case, loggued users would have access to larger images. This need some development, though.
Would this be a solution for you ?
commented Feb 27, 2020 by tcab (200 points)

Generating SVG images on the public plantuml server definitely seems to allow bigger diagrams to be created, which is great. However I still run into limits - does the PLANTUML_LIMIT_SIZE limit apply to SVG diagrams too?

This attempt gives me 403 forbidden - P.S. surely a better error message would be more helpful? Works OK on my local plantuml server, with no changes to PLANTUML_LIMIT_SIZE env var.

I also sometimes get another error on large or complex diagrams: 

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 524 (status code 524)
Uncaught ReferenceError: __ez is not defined
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'ssaf' of undefined

which might be advertising related timeout errors?