plantuml.1.2018.6.jar GUI mode: directory selection is broken preventing new target directory from being specified

0 votes
asked May 30, 2018 in Bug by bugz in a jar (160 points)

Tried this on macOS 10.13.4:

1. double-click on jar file or run it using "java -jar plantuml.1.2018.6.jar -gui"
  2. Click on "Change Directory" button at bottom -> file dialog appears
  3. Navigate to the parent directory of the target directory you want to have monitored
  4. Select the target directory
Expected behavior (from earlier versions such as plantuml.1.2017.18.jar):
  • "Open" button is enabled when you single-click a directory to allow its selection as the directory to be monitored
  • Double-clicking on a directory takes you to into the directory
Actual behavior
  •  Single-clicking doesn't enable the "Open" button so the target directory cannot be changed
Similar problem on Ubuntu 18.04 and openjdk-11:

Expected behavior (from earlier versions such as plantuml.1.2017.18.jar):

• "Open" button is enabled when you single-click a directory to allow its selection as the directory to be monitored

Actual behavior

•  Single-clicking doesn't enable the "Open" button

1 Answer

0 votes
answered May 30, 2018 by plantuml (295,000 points)
Ok, we have restored the "old" behaviour in last beta http://beta.plantuml.net/plantuml.jar

Is it better working for you ?

Thanks for the feedback !
commented Jun 1, 2018 by anonymous
That JAR file (SHA256 7af703b654a9279b122dd446457ecbf1d34186046e115643ec60719b0d960ea9) has restored the behavior of the GUI directory selection. But I'm confused: was this somehow "broken" or was the behavior of the GUI directory selection changed, and is not obvious to earlier users? In other words, is the problem a code problem, or did code changes change the way the user is supposed to use it, and my problem was that I didn't figure out how to use it?

(Sorry for taking so long to respond...thanks for the quick response!)
commented Jun 3, 2018 by plantuml (295,000 points)
Yes, this was really broken.
Someone suggests us to change the behavior of the GUI directory and we accept the change without paying enough attention to it.

So the real problem was a code change suggestion that was inappropriate, plus the fact that we did not test enough it.
The way the GUI work is really that you have to choose a directory (and not a file).

So I think it's really better now.
I hope it's clear : sorry about the long answer too :-)