plantuml.com's availability

0 votes
asked Jun 17, 2013 in Bug by Fuhrmanator (1,700 points)
Over the past two weeks I've noticed that PlantUML.com has been at times unavailable or almost always slower than usual. I realize that perhaps more people than ever are using this site (I know I am promoting it with my students). My question is about whether it will remain in place for the long term.

We're looking to implement a local server in the mean time, but I wanted to point out the problems in case they were not on the radar.

2 Answers

0 votes
answered Jun 19, 2013 by plantuml (295,000 points)

Yes, traffic on PlantUML.com is increasing, and the actual server is probably too small now.
I think we will upgrade the actual server this summer to be able to handle more load.

PlantUML will definitevely remain for the long term, since it allows to users to test PlantUML without any installation. Also more and more plugins are pointing by default to PlantUML.com, and we don't want to break this.

If traffic is still growing too fast, than we will move the server itself in the cloud, but here we have a cost issue.
If anyone knows a free/cheap solution that could host PlantUML.com, please post here. As you know, one issue is that PlantUML need GraphViz to run, and this is not 100% standard (for example, we cannot run it on Google App Engine).

Thanks for pointing this out!

commented Jun 22, 2013 by anonymous
what about a instance like jiffy box?
0 votes
answered Jun 26, 2013 by plantuml (295,000 points)
Hello,
We have just upgraded the server to a new machine.

We are now running OpenJDK 7 under Linux, which means that fonts will look slightly different.

Is it working better now for you ?

Regards,
commented Jun 26, 2013 by Fuhrmanator (1,700 points)
Thanks for letting me know that there was an upgrade. It seems to be working with the models I have already generated. The new look is acceptable, at least so far as I've seen.
commented Jun 27, 2013 by plantuml (295,000 points)
For some reasons, we had to switch back to the old machine. But once things will be fixed, the new architecture will be used again.
commented Jun 28, 2013 by plantuml (295,000 points)
The new server is online again. This is still under testing, but it looks stable now. We hope that issues are behind us now... If you find some issues, please post here.
Thanks,