Add dot as output format

+8 votes
asked May 24, 2014 in Wanted features by blochberger (200 points)
It would be very useful to generate the dot-file as output. Using -keepfiles produces only outlines of the graph not containing the text.

With the dot-file produced I could use other programs to create different output formats or customize my graph further.
commented Jul 16, 2018 by albert (3,520 points)
The '-keepfiles' has been removed (-keepfiles option has been removed. Please consider -debugsvek instead) but the '-debugsvek' only gives some outline as well.

2 Answers

+1 vote
answered Feb 11, 2016 by anonymous
I'm looking for the same option.

Generating diagrams in plantuml and importing them as dot-file into OnmiGraffle to finaize it would be very handy!
–1 vote
answered Feb 25, 2018 by Anthony-Gaudino (5,720 points)
It doesn't seem to be possible.

Dot is used internally in PlantUML to position nodes and edges, but rendering is made by PlantUML.

PlantUML may render the diagram using multiple passes and do other stuff internally.

This means that you can't have a complete DOT file that would generate the same diagram.
commented Dec 21, 2021 by anonymous
The description of the graph is all the file contains, not the layout specifications (locations of things, where edges should go, etc).  The image result may be different, but the description of the graph should be able to be output in dot.