Looking for Rest API for PlantUML running locally instead of from the website

0 votes
asked Oct 20, 2015 in To be sorted by frayacohen (120 points)
I'm looking for a way to locally start the PlantUML server and use a rest API with it.  I have proprietary content that I can't send to the PlantUML website, and I'm running from the Spotfire tool so the rest API seems to be the only way to incorporate PlantUML with Spotfire.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Oct 20, 2015 by plantuml (295,000 points)
It sounds like a great idea!

However, rather than extending the actual PlantUML server with rest API, we'd prefer to create another server than would only serve REST. This should fit your need.

Now, we have absolutly no idea of what kind of REST service would be easily used with Spotfire, and we have no experience at all in Spotfire.

If you have some Java knowledge, the easiest way (for us) would be that you start a project somewhere (on github for example) with a mock REST service that you will be able to use with Spotfire.

For example, this REST webservice will take a text diagram in input, print it on the standard output, and generate a dummy/hardcoded PNG image.

Once you will have initialized this, it will be easy for us to add the missing part (that is, the real diagram generation using PlantUML.jar library)

What do you thing about this ?
commented Aug 5, 2016 by anonymous
Might want to take a look at: https://github.com/d1egoaz/plantuml-rest-service

It's just exposing an endpoint to create PNG, PR are welcome.