Dashed vs Solid lines in Sequence Diagrams

+1 vote
asked Feb 19, 2019 in Bug by roxspring (260 points)
Being able to inject a delay into a sequence diagram is great but why does it have to turn the rest of the line solid?

When flicking between multiple sequence diagrams, some with delays and some without, the switch between dashed lines and solid lines is quite jarring.

@startuml
Bob -> Alice : hello
@enduml

@startuml
Bob -> Alice : hello
... brief pause ...
@enduml

1 Answer

+2 votes
answered Feb 19, 2019 by plantuml (294,960 points)
selected Feb 19, 2019 by roxspring

Best answer
commented Feb 19, 2019 by roxspring (260 points)
Great - hadn't spotted that skinparam - will be using it to take control going forward :)

Still seems weird to me that the default strategy changes depending on whether delays are present.
commented Feb 19, 2019 by roxspring (260 points)
Actually... how was I supposed to spot that skin param?

Running `java -jar plantuml.jar -language | grep -i lifelineStrategy` from the command line returns nothing. Seemingly the code accesses lifelineStrategy via some generic ISkinSimple.getValue(key) method and so SkinParam.getPossibleValues() has no chance of knowing about it. ISkinSimple.getValue(key) also appears to drive the "topurl" skinparam which also goes undocumented. It would appear that ISkinSimple.getValue(key) is a recipe for undocumented skinparams!!
commented Feb 19, 2019 by plantuml (294,960 points)
Yes, the documentation is sometimes out of date.
We have added "LifelineStrategy" in -language with last beta http://beta.plantuml.net/plantuml.jar
Sorry about that!