Table cell merging/fusing

0 votes
asked Oct 4, 2020 in Question / help by Mihai

Hi everybody,

I am trying to generate a table with fused/merged cells like here [1].

For that, I am using the following plantuml syntax, also rendered here [2].

I cannot seem to get the cells to fuse in [2] to look more like [1].

Anybody know of a better way to do this?

Many thanks in advance,

Mihai

Syntax

@startuml
title

| 7 | Application Layer  |= Length |= To |= From |= Segment |= Port |= Public Key |= Metadata |= Encrypted Raw Data |= CRC |
  | 6 | Presentation Layer |= Length |= To |= From |= Segment |= Port |= Public Key |           |= Encrypted Raw Data |= CRC |
  | 5 | Session Layer      |= Length |= To |= From |= Segment |= Port |= Public Key |           |=           Raw Data |= CRC |
  | 4 | Transport Layer    |= Length |= To |= From |= Segment |= Port |             |           |=           Raw Data |= CRC |
  | 3 | Network Layer      |= Length |= To |= From |          |       |             |           |=           Raw Data |= CRC |
  | 2 | Datalink Layer     |= Length |     |       |          |       |             |           |=           Raw Data |= CRC |
  | 1 | Physical Layer     |= Length |     |       |          |       |             |           |=           Raw Data |      |
end title
@enduml

[1]:

https://media.githubusercontent.com/media/mihaigalos/osi_stack/master/graphics/iso_osi_layers.png

[2]:
http://www.plantuml.com/plantuml/uml/lTFFIiD040RmUvvYNi7_9w5IzMALqFO5ncHe5pUxONP2MUZ3EsCBgzH3fC61B_jb5_9B3fabGPQXyvKuyLHL07kuqppqlNSDYei15fY9zU0U5XGsihMsZdPzvjZPkg9DHq6irf4Fw_2k3u0NodRtIe8j2bf_2WtdNgY59UxWyRWxNyvX_yNVQcgcH46--MVmK6O4VwDPKKf5jfcCB_CxVwrPCuRKHvRo0kFv0jhybR_Il97i8d-C-lfJw2p-KcExteNY_-1FhGdv2qszpSarwF-9FnvM55eu_8CphKFdFm40

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Oct 4, 2020 by Martin
edited Oct 5, 2020

PlantUML standard tables seem to be very basic and not support cell merging.  The tables in SALT do support cell merging (you place a * in the cells to the right), however they don't support centred text, so the result isn't great.

The best option I can come up with is to embed a graphviz html node into your title: