WBS: How can I align the root node with the depth 1 leaf nodes?

0 votes
asked May 10, 2021 in Question / help by Lora
I think the WBS diagram will look nicer if there is a symmetry between the root node and the leaf nodes forming the first level (depth 1) i.e. if the root node is positioned in the middle of the the first level of leaf nodes.

Description:
- If there is only one leaf node (depth 1) in the diagram, the root level and the leaf node should be center aligned.
- If the diagram contains odd number leaf nodes (depth 1), the root node should be center aligned with the middle leaf node.
- If the diagram contains even number leaf nodes (depth 1), the root node should be center aligned with the middle of the edge connecting the middle two leaf nodes.

Is it possible to achieve this result by configuration (if yes, please advise how) or would it be a feature request?
commented May 10, 2021 by Lora
Another option:

If there is only one leaf node (depth 1) in the diagram, the root level and the leaf node should be aligned as depth 2 and depth 3 leaf nodes (++ Decide on Job Requirements
+++ Identity gaps) are aligned in the diagram below. This would show hierarchy and could be better approach than my initial suggestion.

What I am trying to avoid is the zig-zag line between (+ New Job) and (++ Decide on Job Requirements).

Note: The rest of the node alignment is impeccable, even for large diagrams.

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Sep 23, 2022 by Doc
Agreed, the root to leafs is the only one that just doesn't cut it sometimes.  Perhaps a style feature that forces balanced layout? layoutstyle=grid layoutstyle=orgchart