Two notes, one left and one right, related to the same message?

0 votes
asked Sep 1, 2015 in Wanted features by PeterBakker (280 points)

I want to place two message-related notes , one at the beginning of the message and at the end of the message, e.g.

participant1->participant2: do something

note left: on how to start the message

note right: on how to handle the message

But at the moment just the last note is shown on the right of the message. Is it possible to show both notes (aligned with the message arrow)? (perhaps this can be implemented in the new TEOZ engine)

With regards,

Peter

1 Answer

0 votes
answered Sep 3, 2015 by peter.loborg (360 points)

Hi,

I think that if you write

note left of participant1: on how to start the message
note right of participant2: on how to handle the message

you get something more in line with what you expect - the note about sending is located before the sending, and the note about reception immediately after the reception.

I sometimes miss thepossobility to stack several notes, though, and to place them all to the right of this diagram but using thin anchor lines to point at the entity the note relates to. But that's probably another feaure.

Br, also a Peter

commented Sep 3, 2015 by PeterBakker (280 points)
The implementation of little anchor lines would be a very welcome features. Now it often is not clear if a note is related to a message/activity or to a participant or to which activity/participant if the note is larger and occupies a larger part of the diagram.

Regarding your example: it's a workaround but that takes more space and is less clear than this example (made with the TEOZ engine and three participants to be able to show the layout):

note left: on how to start the message
& participant2->particpant3:  '
note right: on how to handle the message
commented Oct 13, 2016 by vicnet (360 points)
Is it what you want ?
    A->B: do something
    note over A: on how to start the message
   / note over B: on how to handle the message