How to increase width of day in gantt diagram

0 votes
asked Nov 13, 2020 in Question / help by Boris
http://www.plantuml.com/plantuml/uml/bO-n3i8m30NtVCNRc2erPM3jmWnxnH3HLneK4Ybs0_mzAH8xNJnOTzQv5tLPbqSmvvpkl2g-2q7NTcrZRMFtPZX5Gfy9EcSIKreo9by8yIy82-C5mKcL3XZTMynmzBTP4VtgCO9XXUe9Xi9DxA_6AVwes0aOHzFNKJ_w0000

https://ibb.co/NSMnfqs

Diagram looks small; I wonder if I can make day's width bigger to fit the event name into its duration?

I also wonder how to make the whole diagram bigger?
commented Nov 13, 2020 by Martin

It might be too simplistic for you, but you can use the 'scale' command as described here: https://plantuml.com/commons#4252b72e6ebcd4d4.  But I concede this doesn't achieve the same as having wider day columns would.

commented Nov 16, 2020 by Boris
Thank you, at least I can zoom it bigger.
commented Apr 29, 2021 by Lora
I was thinking if taking the event names out of the event and placing them to the left of the diagram, at the same level as the event is (a bit as it looks like in Project Management software), would help. This would keep the diagram neat while allowing for longer event names.

Another thing are the milestones, it would be nice to be able to position the text left, right, below or above them. Like that we can avoid it standing on the way of the connecting arrows (we see where the arrow goes and we then move the text to avoid overlaps).
commented May 3, 2021 by plantuml (294,960 points)

With last beta http://beta.plantuml.net/plantuml.jar you can have:

(you can click on the image)

It this what you are expecting ?

commented May 5, 2021 by The-Lu (63,920 points)

Hello PlantUML,

A new request... wink

Could you implement:

Labels on last column

Especially for Left to Right language... for better alignment...

Regards,
Th.

commented May 5, 2021 by Lora
This is precisely what I meant.

Once again, thank you for considering the change and for the quick implementation.
I just tested the implementation - the current solution takes out all labels to the left including the tasks and the milestones.
It would be nice the milestones labels to be positioned up, down, left or right of the milestone as long as they are not too long.
Can we have this option as well?

Another thing I just noticed is that if the Gantt diagram has long duration and many tasks, it may be difficult to match labels with the task as the tasks will be positioned too far right. Would it be an option to insert horizontal lines, with the option to switch them off for shorted Gantt diagrams?
I keep testing the new look. My latest notes are:

- Some diagrams look very neat with the labels around the milestones, while others are better with all the labels positioned to the left. Could there be

- option to have the label around the milestone with possibility to switch it on/off

- option choose the label alignment per particular milestone if single overwrite is needed?

so one can choose what works best in the particular case?

- The labels are currently left aligned, which leaves long blank space between the short labels and the diagram frame and the overall impression is as if they are hanging somewhere far from the diagram. If they are aligned to the right, we re-gain the connection of the text with the rest of the diagram while allowing for longer labels.

2 Answers

0 votes
answered May 6, 2021 by plantuml (294,960 points)

We are not 100% satisfied by the syntax, but with last beta, you can have :

and

Regarding milestone, we are really out of inspiration about the syntax, so we welcome any suggestions!

Thanks for your help :-)

commented May 10, 2021 by Lora
Thank you very much for considering and implementing the change!

Regarding the milestones, I am no longer sure if it is needed. The diagrams look super neat now.

In case you decide to go for it though, I would suggest the following:

Options:

- Left (of milestone)

- Right

- Above (or up)

- Below (or down)

If you decide to use East E, West W, North N, South S, South-East SE, South-West SW, North-East NE, North-West NW as options, this would provide for a wider range of positioning. I am not sure this is needed for Gantt milestones, but it is something I do value a lot as a part of BPMN diagrams for events and gateways labels. Basically it comes super handy for nodes having multiple incoming or outgoing edges as it helps position the label out of the way and prevent a massive mess from occurring.

[Sample milestone], below happens on 2021-05-10

or

[Sample milestone \down] happens on 2021-05-10

or

[Sample milestone; S] happens on 2021-05-10

I am not sure what shall be used as a separator between the milestone label and the positioning keyword, as this should be a symbol that is unlikely to be used as a part of the label but I am very likely to go for ;
0 votes
answered May 7, 2021 by The-Lu (63,920 points)

Hello B.,

With this new feature: 

you can add:

Projectscale daily zoom 2

and observe your expected result:

Thanks to PlantUML team for this new feature,
Regards,
Th.